No shoe is truly sustainable.
An ideal sustainable product would be compostable, recyclable, made out of renewable bio-based sustainably-grown materials, locally sourced, locally manufactured, extremely durable and CO2 neutral. We are developing environmentally advanced footwear that is designed to have the lowest possible impact on the environment. With each new generation of MIRET sneakers we are getting closer to this ideal.
Just in 2019, 24 billion pairs of shoes were made. When trends fade and soles wear out, 95% of them end up in landfills. Since footwear is composed out of many different types of materials which become fused together during manufacturing, it is nearly impossible to recycle it which puts an unbearable burden on Earth's ecosystems.
We aim to eliminate toxic substances and plastic components by making 97% natural, bio-based sneakers made from wool and plants without compromising on design, durability, or comfort. The remaining 3% are synthetic thread and glue that ensure our sneakers are made to last. We are working hard to achieve our goal of replacing that 3% with natural materials that will provide just as much durability.
Leaving no toxic legacy.
In our commitment, we aim to raise awareness about the negative ecological impact of the footwear industry and eliminate materials which cause micro-plastic pollution. Furthermore, we wish to ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns and reduce fossil fuel use by using natural raw materials in order to combat climate change.
Mirets are the only sneakers in the world to hold the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX label for the entire product and not just specific components. This label means that our sneakers contain zero toxic substances harmful to human health which is why Mirets can so easily create and maintain a healthy environment for your feet.
MIRET sneakers are crafted in Croatia with the deepest respect for people and the environment. Our manufacturing process minimizes the usage of synthetic materials in every stage - from raw material production to the final assembly and delivery of the product to the customer.
Not biodegradable or compostable.
Term “biodegradability” has little to do with sustainability, especially when used out of context. Any product can be biodegradable, but only compostable products biodegrade without leaving visually distinguishable or toxic residues. Right now MIRET sneakers are not compostable, but engineered to reduce the use of synthetic materials and toxic chemicals, in order to create a product which can be safely returned to the natural cycle.
Why don’t we use leather?
Production of leather is linked to serious sustainability problems. From rearing livestock to tanning, the entire process has a severe environmental impact, producing a slush of chemicals that are highly toxic and usually end up flushed into local waterways.
Why don’t we use recycled plastic?
Using recycled plastic in footwear is a short-term fix to an increasingly long-term problem. The only way to unravel the global plastic crisis is to dramatically reduce our plastic consumption and increase its reuse, which is not the same as recycling. By using natural materials, we are choosing to focus on the long-term solution.
What should You do? NOTHING.
We believe that the responsibility of choosing sustainable alternatives should not fall on you, the consumer. It is our duty as a brand to develop and offer products that contribute to the solution, not the problem.
This is why by creating MIRET, we wanted to remove the consumer from the equation, so no matter what you do, the negative impact gets minimised.